August 24, 2010

Who Doesn't Love Nutella?

Here is a cupcake recipe I tried recently and absolutely loved! Nutella has always been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl. Enjoy!

Vanilla-Nutella Swirl Cupcakes

For cupcakes:
10 tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups sifted flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
12 tsp Nutella, softened

For Nutella buttercream:
1 stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter, softened
4 cups confectioners sugar (or more to taste)
1/4 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup of Nutella (or more to taste), softened

Preheat oven to 325F.
Prepare cupcake pan with liners.

To make cupcakes—Cream together butter and sugar until light, about 2 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time, until fully incorporated. The batter may not look smooth, this is fine. Add vanilla. Stir in flour, salt, and baking powder until batter is smooth and all flour is blended. Using an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin liner with batter. Cups should be 3/4 full if you’re not using a scoop. Top each cake with about 1 tsp of the softened (about 15 seconds in the microwave) Nutella. Swirl Nutella in with a toothpick, folding a little batter up and over the Nutella as well. Bake for 20 minutes - no peeking. Remove to wire rack and allow to cool before frosting.

To make buttercream—In your stand mixer with flat beater, cream butter. Add 3 cups of the confectioners sugar, then milk and vanilla and beat until the mixture is smooth, about 3-4 minutes.Add the remaining confectioners sugar, beating about 1-2 minutes. (You can add more sugar to get a thicker consistency if you want.)In a microwave safe bowl, soften the Nutella until it has a spreadable consistency, about 15-20 secs.Add the softened Nutella to your buttercream and fold into the frosting until well blended. This icing works very well in a piping bag!

Recipe makes 24 cupcakes

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I learned to cook mostly from my Mother but my German Grandmother had a big hand in my baking skills. I am a full time Nursing student and I work full time as well. That doesn't leave much free time generally but I make the most of it. I am the proud owner of two adorable Boston Terriers - Zoe and Radar. They keep me on my toes.